How to download at MOODWINGS

MOODSWINGS doesn't host direct links any longer. All the links featured here are text files. You will have to download them, extract them (using the usual password) and open them to find your desired link.

Monday, November 3, 2008

NICOLAS REPAC


NICOLAS REPAC
LA GRANDE ROUE (2007)
320 KBPS

After a first album that sounded like a mix of industrial rock, French chanson and gothic new wave, Nicolas Repac, an old-time collaborator of Arthur H, took time to release a second album featuring his voice and compositions. Meanwhile, he embarked in an adventure fusing electro and jazz for the cleverest album of its kind, Swing Swing (released on the No Format label) and collaborated with African singer Mamani Keita for an album that most say is one of the best thing that has come from western/african fusion since Fela teamed with Ginger Baker in the 70s, Yelema (on the No Format label too).
But, back to La grande roue. On this 2007 release, Repac kept using the wordplays that made his debut so delightful but the music is a different business. More relaxed, it's a display of an artist that keeps growing more and more assured of his voice and songwriting. One that will appeal to fans of Arthur H or CharlElie Couture yet still holding its very own personality with its mix of samples and acoustic instruments. A must hear by an artist I wish had more media coverage, he deserves it!

1. Je Marche
2. Au Bout Du Monde
3. La Grande Roue
4. Lovni
5. Louise
6. Idées Noires
7. Discount Univers
8. Fatigue
9. Bosser
10. Rave
11. Eperdu En Mer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

password pls

Mr Moodswings said...

Password is always
MOODSWINGS
(unless stated otherwise)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could love this album because I thought Swing Swing was fresh and unlike anything else out there. Revue Noire, La Pegre, and Swing Swing are simply the best. After track 7 the album begins to go downhill so I can't say it's a perfect album. I was expecting something mature and generally around the style of his last album but La Grande Roue sounds nothing like Swing Swing. There are only small muted traces but not enough to even relate the two albums yet alone artist.

I don't want to disrespect Nicolas Repac's work since his first album has earned him my respect but I seriously have to question what he was thinking. I am all for direction changes but only having one album in and then doing a 180 into a completely different territory is another thing. Maybe doing this under a different moniker if he must but putting this out under the same name just makes me feel that he hasn't established his musical identity yet and has me less optimistic about future releases.

I personally don't like his style of singing, not his voice. It sounds like he spliced in the vocals as an afterthought so they sound like they are lying on top of the music instead of being a part of it and the timing of the lyrics sounds like some bohemian poet ranting on the mic at a karaoke bar instead of singing. Some parts work but the majority of the album just sounds...boring. Where as his first album he did something original, this album sounds like a lot of other folkish French stuff I have run across. I can give him props for exploring different emotional aspects in this album but the majority of it sounds a little too serious where as his last album had a fun experimental and theatrical quality to it.

My personal opinion is based on my love of his past work. I am sure this album will find a nice niche in the downtempo/chill/folkish community. La Grande Roue is not my thing but I am sure that most will find it commercially viable where as Swing Swing is right on the cusp of being too experimental for mainstream listeners.

Mr Moodswings said...

Actually, Swing Swing was his second album. The first one (much closer to La Grande Roue but with a more industrial tone) was La Vile which is also available on New Moodswings.

I personally enjoyed the three albums because they're all different but equally good but that's just my opinion and I respect yours.