How to download at MOODWINGS

MOODSWINGS doesn't host direct links any longer. All the links featured here are text files. You will have to download them, extract them (using the usual password) and open them to find your desired link.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

RUSH


RUSH
SIGNALS (1982)
REMASTER
320 KBPS

A pivotal album for Rush. Many fans consider this the beginning of the next exciting chapter of the band while others consider it effectively the end of their favorite rock band. While I can understand the frustration of the latter group it is my opinion that Signals is mostly an enjoyable success.
"Subdivisions" is a very special song to my heart. I get chills every time I listen to it. My absolute favorite Peart lyrics are here as he captures the complete isolation, loneliness, fear, and shame that some shunned young people feel at that age. I remember those years in the burbs well and understand the feelings they wrote about. And beyond the lyrics are the dark and foreboding mood that the keys create for me, like dark clouds on the horizon.
"Losing It" is the other standout track and one of Rush's most heart-wrenching emotional songs. Ben Minks electric violin fits the piece perfectly. The music is so wistful and underscores more of Neil's perfect lyrics, especially the end about ones dreams. Alex lets rip an imaginative solo before they sadly choose to let this great song fade out. They should have expanded this one a bit.
While clearly a success I don't believe that Signals is quite as good as the four albums that precede it and could not call it essential except to Rush fans.

1. Subdivisions
2. The analog kid
3. Chemistry
4. Digital man
5. The weapon (part II of Fear)
6. New world man
7. Losing it
8. Countdown

3 comments:

KingSizeMong said...

My absolute favourite Rush album.

It came along at just the right time for me to really FEEL and resonate with the title track's lyrics of the teenage isolation of the uncool.

I can see why fans thought they'd gone too far with the synths on this but personally I love the way the album sounds.

Mr Moodswings said...

I like it too though, of the "synth-era", I much prefer Power Windows and Hold Your Fire which are among my fav' Rush with Hemispheres and Moving Pictures.

KingSizeMong said...

Looking at their career as a whole I love the difference between Signals and Power Windows.

Signals - Synth heavy and a "deep" sound with lots of layers that need repeated listens to grasp what's going on.

Grace Under Pressure - Guitar screaming back to the front.

Power windows - a less dense sound with all the elements having their own sonic space.

This has inspired me to dig out Lifeson's "Victor". It's been ages since I listened to that. Maybe it's time that was ripped and posted :)